Pages

18 January 2012

SOPA PIPA or A Day Off of teh IntraWebs

A lot of the Web Sites I normally go to are down so I decided to "take a break" from The Internet. Of course The Internet is a lot more than just the World Wide Web and I didn't truly get off of The Internet either.

Let's see:
  • I still corresponded by e-mail. This allowed me to post a reply to my dad on Facebook without logging on to Facebook.
  • I still read my newsgroups (No postings or follow-ups though).
  • My Twitter feed was up (I didn't post directly, but I still managed to post some Tweets.)
  • I uploaded some pictures to Photobucket.
  • I responded to an e-mailed Avaaz petition request. I used the Facebook and Twitter buttons to "spread the word" subsequently posting to both Facebook and Twitter.
  • I read a comment on a video I had uploaded to YouTube.
  • I read Undeadly and the FAQ on TalkOrigins.
  • I posted to my blog.
So, all-in-all, a rather failed attempt to not use The Internet for a day. Why is that I wonder? Am I truly so addicted to The Internet that I can't have a day where I don't use it and do something else that I've been putting off?

My girls were at home today because of a Snow Day due to extremely low temperatures. I could have spent time playing with them, but honestly I was thawing out my vehicle so I could salvage what was left of a mostly lost day. Still, I found time to do all the above. Perplexing, isn't it? Not really, but tomorrow the temperatures are still supposed to be low, but there's a good chance that they won't be as low as today and the buses will probably be running.

Lost opportunity? I'm afraid so. On the other hand, I do have a scheduled day off tomorrow and if tomorrow is declared another Snow Day then I've got some plans for a day with my girls. Still, that's counting on a lot of "if's" and is not certain. Counting on dumb luck just makes me dumb...unless of course the odds work in my favour, but I have no control of that. It'd be silly to think that I do, or that anybody else does.

Ah IntraWebs, if I could but have quit of thee!

It doesn't follow that things would necessarily be "better" though. I was quite an avid reader and I do continue to read. I'm reading the first book of the "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman at the same time I'm also reading "The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer. In the meantime, I'm reviewing a bit of my Physics and Mathematics for some subbing I'm doing on Monday. So I suppose that if it weren't The 'Net there'd always be something else.

Hrm, I wonder if I have some time to check out a MUD?

No comments:

Post a Comment